.jpg)
Taco Bell is reportedly being investigated as potential source of cyclosporiasis outbreak | Photo courtesy of Yum Brands
Editor’s note: This story has been updated to include a statement from Taco Bell.
Taco Bell is reportedly under investigation by federal and state health officials who are seeking a source in a cyclosporiasis outbreak that has sickened more than 3,000 people across more than 30 states.
The Washington Post reports that officials in Michigan and Ohio believe lettuce or salad greens may be the source but haven’t ruled out other foods, nor have they identified a specific grower or supplier.
Cyclosporiasis is an intestinal illness caused by a microscopic parasite, Cyclospora, that can be transmitted through contaminated fresh produce or water. Symptoms include watery diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach cramps and bloating, nausea, and fatigue.
Last week, Taco Bell removed a handful of ingredients in some Michigan restaurants — including lettuce, cilantro-onion mix, pico de gallo, and guacamole — as the illness spread. Michigan has been hit the hardest with this outbreak, with more than 2,500 cases and more than 40 hospitalizations so far reported.
In an emailed statement Tuesday, Taco Bell said, “The health and safety of our guests is our top priority. Public health officials have not confirmed a link to Taco Bell or any specific ingredient, supplier, restaurant or retailer. While authorities continue their broader review, Taco Bell has voluntarily and temporarily removed limited ingredients at select restaurants as a precautionary measure. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and follow the guidance of public health authorities.”
The Taco Bell probe has impacted parent company Yum Brands’ share price, which has fallen more than 3% in the past 24 hours. Taco Bell makes up nearly 40% of Yum’s total operating profit, making it the company’s largest profit contributor.
Notably, an investigation doesn’t mean implication at this point. Officials are examining possible exposures across foodservice, including commercial kitchens, restaurants, and food vendors.
Other chains are on high alert. In an emailed statement, Chipotle’s Chief Corporate Affairs and Food Safety Officer Laurie Schalow said, “We are aware of the Cyclospora investigation and at this time, we don’t believe the ingredients we source are associated. We are monitoring the situation closely and evaluating any new information as it becomes available. The health and safety of our guests and team members is our highest priority.”
A Qdoba spokesperson also said the company is aware of the ongoing investigation, adding, “At this time, we have no information indicating that any cases are associated with Qdoba restaurants. We are closely monitoring guidance from public health and regulatory authorities and remain in regular contact with our suppliers. We are prepared to take appropriate action should circumstances change.
“The health and safety of our guests and team members remain our highest priority.”
A request for comment from McDonald’s was not returned.
We also reached out to the National Restaurant Association to see if there is industrywide guidance as the outbreak proliferates.
Contact Alicia Kelso at Alicia.Kelso@informa.com
Follow her on TikTok: @aliciakelso
Members help make our journalism possible. Become a Restaurant Business member today and unlock exclusive benefits, including unlimited access to all of our content. Sign up here.